Thursday, March 19, 2015

Kiwi and Lemon Oatmeal - Vegan

This oatmeal is sincerely addictive. I'm lately quite addicted to adding lemon everywhere: to my smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, and I'm even considering adding it to pasta (I've seen a recipe on Instagram which I really have to try!). Believe it or not, when I was a kid, I disliked lemon and anything with lemon on it like ice-creams, cakes, drinks and any other food. Fortunately, over the years, I have learned to experiment with new foods and flavors, what has led me to new and fascinating food discoveries, and also to some epic failures! Lemon oatmeal is one of those positive findings, and I'm not lying when I say I ate these three days in a row and still not getting tired of them. If you follow me on Instagram you will provably have seen this countless of times!
Kiwi and Lemon Oatmeal

This recipe also includes ground anise seed, and I believe it is the key ingredient that makes this oatmeal so perfect. It's a warm bowl of creamy oatmeal, with a wonderful sweet-and-sour flavor accentuated by the freshness of the anise seed and kiwis. 
Kiwi and Lemon Oatmeal
Ingredients
50ml coconut milk
50ml of soy milk (or any other milk of your choice)
1 small ripe banana
40g rolled oats
2 kiwis
lemon zest and lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon of anise seed.
maple syrup 

Directions
In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork until you get a smooth paste.

Grate half a lemon's peel and incorporate to the banana mash. Add half lemon juice and anise seed to the mixture too and stir until well incorporated. 

In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Sometimes, coconut milk isn't completely smooth and liquid and you have to gently stir until it finally melts and becomes uniform.

When the milk is boiling, add the content of the small bowl and stir until well incorporated and then add the oats too. Stir for about 1 minute, or until the oats have softened and absorbed most of the liquid. 

Actively stir for about two minutes or until the oatmeal has reached the desired consistency. 

Set aside, and let it stand for some minutes. Meanwhile, peel and cut the kiwis. For this recipe, I like cutting big chunks of fruit rather than thin slices.

Transfer to a bowl and top with kiwis and maple syrup. This oatmeal is pretty sweet, but sometimes our sweet-tooth calls for more! 

Enjoy!
Kiwi and Lemon Oatmeal


Have you tried adding lemon to your oatmeal? 

What is the weirdest combination of flavors you have ever eaten? I know that lemon oatmeal isn't that of a culinary adventure for some, but for me and my tight taste this is quite a breakthrough.

This are such delectable recipes that they're absolutely worth sharing, don't you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10